Am I crazy?
Sometimes I start thinking I'm crazy for planning to take off for 2-3 months and volunteer doing massage therapy in India for people with leprosy. I've done this sort of thing several times throughout my adult life, so it's not like this is that unusual for me. I guess the biggest thing that's different now is my small bank account and I don't have a free home base to return to like I did before, where I stored all of my things when I traveled. I can't afford to pay rent if I'm not working, and I don't know if I can find a suitable sublet situation for my room with the right timing.
Motives:
I really try to be clear about my motives in everything, and as I consider why I want to go to India, I admit that in addition to believing that I have a meaningful contribution and in some ways it is great timing, there are elements of satisfying my love for exotic adventure and it's nice to "get away" to a new place and lose myself there for a bit. I really avoid doing things for trite and fad reasons, and going to India because it's exotic is somewhat trite and fad, in my opinion. I want to do the job, go to the place that no one else wants to---that for me is truly exotic, but I'm not convinced that that is the best reason either. What am I trying to prove? This is the question I ask myself.
Lasting Impacts:
I want to make the most of my time there, to really have a lasting impact (without a need to "save" or heal anyone or the world. That's not my role.) I do believe that the most powerful impact comes in the day-to-day ways we live our lives and in being present. Traveling to a foreign country is not necessary to have a lasting impact and honestly, the person I'm really responsible for is myself. That's the one I'm working to change. Do I have lessons to learn in India, that perhaps I can't learn somewhere else? I believe learning great lessons is almost inevitable, and it really motivates to go. And I want to go for a longer than shorter period, so I can really immerse myself in the experience and leave behind the "tourist" feel.
I am a big proponent of sustainable development, so I imagine that a big contribution would be to teach massage classes for family members of people with leprosy and for anyone wanting to learn. My passion for bodywork is to promote it as a practical pathway to peace---believing that people who receive and give healthy, loving touch are less likely to abuse one another and will enjoy a higher quality of life in all aspects.
On the note of what specifically I will be doing with Rising Star Outreach, I think we all agree that bodywork (I use "bodywork" and "massage" interchangeably, though "bodywork" is a bit more inclusive than "massage.") would be a powerful benefit to the physical, emotional, social and spiritual well-being of the people RSO serves. I expect that I would give massage sessions to people with leprosy and teach self-care in the realm of mind-body wellness. I have great passion for and some great experience in facilitating peacemaking workshops, which I would be so happy to do along with massage, if there is interest and opportunity.
Bottom line, I am flexible and happy to contribute however I am most useful.
Namasté
No comments:
Post a Comment