Sunday, September 23, 2012

Newsletter 1st Edition Sept. 2012

It has been WAY too long since I've been here. I apologize for anyone who has been sorely disappointed when you've visited throughout the past year only to find the same old, same old. But today is different! Because today I'm posting the first newsletter for Bodywork for Peace. This newsletter is intended to reach out to my network, offering a regular column on self-care and one on Compassionate Communication, along with monthly massage specials for clients around San Diego.

The first edition focuses on stretching, in ways you may have never imagined. One more apology, because the images will not copy and I am so done tweaking and perfecting this. I am stretching out of my comfort zone to publish this without the fabulous pictures. I guess it's like going in public without makeup or something. So email me if you'd like the colorful version with pictures in PDF: bodywork4peace@yahoo.com.

Happy reading!


                   Bodywork for Peace Newsletter
                                 Edition 1: September 2012


IN THIS ISSUE:
Autumn Welcome
Monthly Specials
Self-Care: Stretching I
Compassionate Communication Corner: Stretching II (yep, you got it!)

Welcome to B4P News
In August I celebrated the 2-year anniversary of Bodywork for Peace, and this month I launched the inaugural issue of the B4P Newsletter. I truly love what I do and look forward to many more years of it! A big thank you goes to all of my clients. Look to the right to see this month's special deal for massage.
The B4P newsletter is a free, monthly outreach with information on massage deals, tips on self-care, and ideas for developing compassionate communication to increase peaceful interactions with ourselves and others.
Happy Reading!
                                      
 
This Could Be You for 90 min!
All clients receiving a session during the month of October will be entered in a drawing to receive a FREE additional 30 minutes for a 60-minute massage in November. So you could receive 90 minutes for the price of 60 minutes. The more sessions you book, the more chances you have to win! Plus, if you buy a gift certificate for someone else this month, both you AND your recipient are entered in the raffle.
Also, receive $5 off your next session for each new client who books with Bodywork for Peace. 
See the B4P website for pricing and package deals:




Self-Care Corner:                                     Compassionate Communication
Stretching I                                                 Corner: Stretching II
It's no secret that I love to stretch.
I thought about subtitling this column, "Confessions of a Stretching Fiend," but that would make stretching sound all clandestine and it's not. I am a brazen, public stretcher, and I hope you will be too.
You may protest that you don't have time or, ironically, make the excuse, "Well, I'm just not flexible." Maybe it's just not important to you. My goal is to help convince you otherwise.
Stretching often, hopefully daily, will increase your flexibility. Sure, genetics are involved, but you can do much to improve your situation. Frequent stretching will increase your sense of relief and wellbeing in your body, sometimes when you didn't even realize you needed it. And regular stretching will help you maintain the flexibility you gain—but if you don't use it, you'll lose it. Proper stretching can improve athletic performance and reduce risk of injury in movement, whether it's the daily workout or seasonal deep cleaning around the house.
On a more technical note, stretching helps increase blood flow, which is important to avoid stiffness, cold, and pain associated with stagnation. If you've had scar tissue from surgery or an injury, you'll probably understand what I mean; the scar tissue decreases blood flow to the traumatized area, inhibiting removal of cellular waste which then builds up and can trigger an inflammation response, which in turn can cause pain.
Basically, it feels GREAT, it's FREE, and it's GOOD FOR YOU.
So how do you fit stretching into a busy schedule? What should you stretch, and what is proper technique?
Realize that you don't have to stretch your whole body every time you stretch. You can also do what I call "spot stretching" for areas that you notice are tense. Stretching is perfect for a quick break from the work or school desk, in the back of the airplane cabin during a long flight, sitting on a bus, even while standing in the grocery line—but I do discourage stretching while you drive! Be brave and creative, and you may even make new friends—I was recently stretching before my flight took off and an airline attendant starting asking me questions because she has low back pain. I was able to give her some tips and connected with a stranger.
It may seem obvious to stretch those muscles that you use the most, or where you notice the most tension. Most experts recommend stretching after a brief warm up to avoid straining the muscles or injuring yourself during exercise. The following are also important:
  • Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds without bouncing so you don't micro-tear the muscles.
  • Breathe out while you ease into the stretch.
  • Go to the "edge of deliciousness" and avoid pain or strain.
  • If you are preparing to do physical activity, such as karate kicks, first do the movement slowly and then full-speed.
  • Remember to warm up first so you don’t pull a muscle.
Lastly, here are some awesome neck and back stretches, not intended to be comprehensive:
  • Side of the neck: One of my favorites is to grab hold of the edge of the chair (secure table works too) and hold firmly while dropping the head to the opposite side. You will likely feel a stretch down your arm as well as your neck. A similar effect can be achieved with the head tilted to the left, and the left hand holds the top of the head while you gently push your head into your hand. Hold about 15-30 seconds, and release. Do this again once or twice on both sides.
  • Back of the neck: Drop your head slowly forward, chin toward chest, and then roll up toward the left. Don't let your ear go past your shoulder. Do the same on the right side. You can enhance the stretch to the left by tugging gently on your head with the left hand while gently resisting with your head, and vice versa for the right side.
  • Front of the neck: Let your head drop backward, reaching with your chin like you're going to kiss the sky. Tilt somewhat to the right and to the left. Move slowly and breathe.
  • Shoulders and back: Grab the edge of your chair with both hands and sit up straight. Slowly lean back, feeling a stretch in your shoulders. Ahhhhhh. Still holding the edge of the chair with straight arms and leaning back, gently bend your upper back and you'll feel it between your shoulder blades. Double ahhhhhh.
There is so much more to share about stretching. Hopefully you have some new ideas and encouragement to implement stretching regularly in your day. While a 30-minute stretch session is awesome, you can also sneak it in during work or play! Stretching is for everyone, it costs nothing, and your body will thank you.
I love feedback and I want to hear your successes and questions about stretching. Please send me a message or call if you'd like more tips. We can also include stretching into a massage session with Thai massage, sometimes called "passive yoga": bodywork4peace@yahoo.com or 858.309.2540



April Murdock with
BODYWORK FOR PEACE


NOTE: This newsletter is based off of the experience and opinion of the author and is not medical advice. If you have health or medical issues, please consult your doctor.

You are receiving this e-mail because you are subscribed to the "B4P Newsletter." If you would like to unsubscribe please
click here.
Have you ever considered that someone with a flexible body might also have a more flexible personality? Is there a correlation? Hmm...
Just as we stretch our bodies, we can stretch ourselves personally in our habits, including our communication styles.
We have a basic need for consistency in life, and it is human nature to develop habits and routines. But in all things, balance is key, and sometimes we become "stuck"—or inflexible—in routines or ruts that don't serve our growth or happiness.
Some of those ruts easily occur in communication. See if any of these seem familiar: 
  • blaming others for our feelings and actions
  • labeling and judging others and ourselves
  • making assumptions
  • using superlatives such as, "You always/never ____________."
  • taking offense, whether or not it's intended
  • demanding rather than requesting our needs and desires to be met
Blaming others for our feelings and actions might sound like the oh-so-common, "You make me so angry!" or "I wouldn't [do such-and-such] if you just wouldn't __________." Of course there are many variations on these statements. Blaming others leads us to justify our actions, or make excuses for ourselves. I ask this question for pondering: Is there a way of being that doesn't need to self-justify? (more on this in future editions)
Labeling and judging others might come in the form of, "He thinks he knows everything;" "She is such a control freak;" or even applied toward ourselves as in, "I'm so stupid" or "I'm just a social dork." Labels can be more favorable as well, such as the common, "S/He's so hot."
Comparisons are another form of judgment trap that can be easy to fall into. Comparing our appearance, job performance, income, athleticism, vehicle, house, etc., usually just leads to dissatisfaction and/or pride.
Assumptions are often hidden to ourselves. Core beliefs, or ideas that underlie many of our thoughts and actions, tend to influence our assumptions. For example, someone with a core belief that the world is generally a safe place will more likely assume that a stranger has good intentions and treat him accordingly. Conversely, a core belief that nobody can be trusted would likely lead that individual to failed relationships or a life of loneliness.
Using superlatives such as, "You always/never..." "everybody/nobody" and "best/worst" are not accurate statements and invite others to respond defensively: "No, I don't always do that!" and usually point out what the other person does wrong. Superlatives help emphasize our point, but they also hide feelings and needs that we haven't clearly expressed. For example, the common statement, "You never listen to me," is likely masking feelings of loneliness or frustration, with needs to connect, be understood and validated.
Superlatives also don't reflect reality, thus discounting examples that could counter our mistaken beliefs. For example, if I am convinced that my housemate or coworker "never does anything to help out around the house/office," when actually I just have never seen him/her do certain tasks, then how likely am I to notice when s/he does do helpful things but maybe just not the ones things I would like to see?
When we demand rather than request our needs and desires to be met, what response does that invite from others? Do they want to honor our requests, or do they meet us with resistance? Sometimes they will do what we ask, but with resentment—and sometimes may passive aggressively get back at us for "making" them do something they didn't want to do.
Taking offense, whether or not an attack is intended, is another rut that is detrimental to our relationships. You may notice a certain person that seems to rub you wrong, whether or not you are clear as to why. I invite you to consider taking steps to improve your relationship with this person, and to know that it's possible.
All of these communication ruts affect our interactions with others because they influence how we see others and ourselves, and they bind us into ineffective, inaccurate, repetitive patterns that interfere with our happiness or others'.
Pick one of the above patterns to work on in the next few weeks, somewhere you can stretch yourself. Before or during a difficult interaction with someone, practice the following (notice some parallels with physical stretching from the other column):
  • Pause several seconds before you respond in anger or judgment to consider the underlying needs of the other person. Ask yourself, "Where is s/he coming from?"
  • Pause to consider your own needs and feelings in regards to that person or situation. Make a clear, attainable request.
  • Breathe in and out deeply. Sometimes it helps to count to 10 or longer, if needed.
  • Go to the edge of compassion. You are stretching here.
Practice these skills frequently. Share them with others so they can support you and find personal benefit themselves. And let me know how it goes!


 "Work is love made visible" ~ Kahlil Gibran
Copyright 2012 Bodywork for Peace



No comments:

Post a Comment